In my Inspiration to action post one the four things you can do to start having a healthier life was to “Eat more green things”
One of the ideas to help you do this was to make your own coleslaw. Yes, I know it is not green, but its vegetables and they are good for you!
As with many things I now love. I used to hate coleslaw. That was until I tried Polish Coleslaw! Introduced to me by my girlfriend!
Below is a recipe –
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 2x Carrots
- Red Cabbage (as much as required)
- 1/3 to 1/2 Leek (can use spring onions)
- Mayonnaise (Polish variety preferred)
- Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper
You will need to change/estimate the quantities depending on how many you are serving. Just add an extra carrot or a bit more cabbage.
- Grate the carrots into a bowl
- Grate/thinly slice the red cabbage (fancy peelers and shredders are useful for this but a cheese grater is fine) as required into the same bowl.
- Very thinly slice the leek. Add to the carrots and cabbage.
- Add one tablespoon of mayonnaise to the carrots, cabbage and leeks and stir in. (You will need no more than this. At times a tablespoon may be too much. Add a little at the start, you can always add more). This may take a couple of minutes. Keep stirring until all the vegetables are lightly and evenly coated.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Stir.
- Season with a little salt and black pepper. Stir.
That is it!
It goes with pretty much anything. I tend to have it with fish and potatoes.
Give it a try. It is a great way to eat raw vegetables so that none of the nutrients are lost.
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.